tisdag 24 januari 2012

A Winter Portrait...

This year, Winter has forgotten to stop by for real, but a few times, it has given an hint of being on its way. Just a few snow flakes make life so much nicer in the Winter darkness. And this I wanted to document for me to have a look at whenever I feel "Christmassy".

Coming home, this is what encounters me:

18/12-2011
Just do not ask me what grass this is, as I haven't got any label under my nose. :O)












18/12-2011
Looking on the other side, three of these have survived the light Winter. These kinds of "cauliflowers" are actually not supposed to do so really. They are supposed to be there and decorate the Autumn and that is about it. We did not bother to actually put them in a nice pot as it was such a temporary thing and they did not seem worth the effort, but that was obviously not correct, given that those three guys are still looking out in January.




Walking to the right, you will encounter this crazy plant that I really love. In Summertime, it actually displays red leaves, but those I really have no use of. I actually prefer them as they are in Winter really. :O)

This little scary crow is the next in turn among the eye catchers. It normally grows like crazy in summertime, but it does not look as arrogant in wintertime... :O), even if it still takes some space really. This summer I do plan to trim it much harder and keep it look as a ball, as I believed it would look like before I purchased it. Promise :O)





18/12-2011





And guess what: the Elephant grass looks so tall, you can hardly imagine. The gate behind is really taller than 2,5 meters. So you can guess the size of the grass, really. You are not supposed to cut it in Autumn but let it be as it is during the whole winter. It seems the straws can rot if you are not careful. And that we do not want! Really not! In spring time, you can cut them away and wait for them to come back stronger than ever. They are not very quick to start growing again, but when they do they repay for the patience. We have two of these next to each other.





18/12-2011
This is our newest guy. Very little it hardly reaches my ankles. We actually purchased it when it was completely on rebate (if I waited some more time, they probably would have paid me to take it away). Afterwards I realised why it was so cheap: this kind of plants you should not purchase so late in the Autumn as their chances of making through the winter are reduced to a minimum. So now let us hope it will make it anyways, even though I did not play by the book unfortunately. So far so good....
18/12-2011



What is this really... Well, it is hard to say but I'd guess it is Spirea "El diabolo"... It does not look that impressive either in wintertime naked of all leaves... :O) But I love it nevertheless...






18/12-2011



And here we are... our Schoons Bonsai tree. Still little brownish, but I personally feel it looks better than it did last year. So the movement might have taken some improvements with it, who can say.









From some perspective, it really seems healthy (nearly healthy).









And this guy seems very happy too. Making its bed larger seems to have been a pure health cure for our Rhododendron Catawbiense. Note to self: it does not like sun in early spring/late winter and gets easily burnt: cover it or water it for #...@ck's sake this year! Do you want flowers or not really?!





18/12-2011

Not easy to stand still when trying to balance at its height over those sticky guys. Berberis is cute but not very cuddly. Just this special type does look cool in summer, but this winter, which is probably the fifth winter this guy has spent in our garden, I found out it actually gives berries. Crazy!








This is the second building on our lot. Everybody needs a guest house on the premises. This specific house was actually given to Janne as a present by his sister. It came with black details, but I went artistic and added a touch of color... or maybe two... Well, our guests appreciate. Not sure it is because of the color or because of the food it actually also offers....






I am not sure if there is any moment in time where this specific rose does not look like crap... There might have been 2-3 days where some rose looked ok... Maybe some eradication may be on place. Ok, let us give it one more summer chance and rethink on some suitable action thereafter!






Hope it will learn something from its far more beautiful neighbour with time.... the Rose Thérèse de Lisieux. My favorite rose ever... or at least so far.











Apples are not my favorite fruit, or let us rephrase, Swedish apples are not my favorite fruit. So the idea of purchasing a real apple tree that would produce lots of apples that nobody of us really appreciates nor tolerates and let those poor apples rot on our lawn did not sound as an healthy option for our garden. So this decorative kind of apple became the obvious choice. The tree should grow to a larger size, and produce humongous amounts of white flowers, which will turn in late summer into cute red apples that nobody should even consider eating. Obviously a far more suitable option for our little family!


What the heck is this really?!?! The more I look at it the less I understand... Mh.... Weird....











Bambu is the new purchase for this year, the one that actually started a major refurbishing in the garden. And the one that still makes me sleep bad. Hope it does not spread!!!!










Salvia is a good herb but actually not my favorite in any way. I only like it in one way: as involtini, with thin meat slices and cooked ham. It looks pretty though in my opinion. And so far it seems still rather healthy.









And what do you guess this is?!
You have 3 guesses....

1... 2... 3...

Artichoke!!!!!

Let us see if it is an annual or a perennial really... :O)





Yes, gardening and winter is not the first "connection" you think about, but looking at the above I am inclined not to understand why not really! I love winter!

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar